Sat, 09 Sept|
Joburg Underground Film Festival
Discover a world of boundary-pushing, experimental cinema from all corners of the globe at the Joburg Underground Film Festival - an unmissable celebration of radical African cinema and groundbreaking works from around the world.
Time & Location
09 Sept, 19:00 – 21:00
Johannesburg, 235A Jan Smuts Ave, Parktown North, Johannesburg, 2193, South Africa
About the event
The Joburg Underground Film Festival is committed to presenting experimental, radical, and unorthodox cinema from all corners of the globe.
As one of the only festivals in Sub-Saharan Africa with an exclusive focus on experimental short films, we aim to showcase groundbreaking African cinema alongside other great films from around the world. Our program includes a range of boundary pushing work characterized by technical and aesthetic innovation, with a focus on unique perspectives.
- 6:30pm - Doors open - snacks and drinks available for purchase.
- 7pm - Introduction.
- 7:15pm - Film screening.
- 8:15pm - Q&A session featuring the local filmmakers.
- 8.45pm - venue closed
JUFF DAY 1 (Saturday, 2 September)
Six short films from Brazil, South Africa, the USA, Zimbabwe, and Germany. Featuring an acerbic and politically charged mockumentary, a montage of memories exploring the lonely domesticity of an industrial South African town, a collection of idiosyncratic object-poems, and more. Screening followed by a filmmaker Q&A .
- Mushroom Water dir. Roger Horn (Germany)
- Rhodes House dir. Jason Mollink (South Africa)
- [ technopoetics ] dir. Alexandre Dacosta (Brazil)
- Passion, Love and Soulmate dir. Siviwe Honobroke Mashiyi (South Africa)
- Coincidences dir. Neil Ira Needleman (USA)
- Tiny Apocalypse dir. Bill Badi (South Africa)
JUFF DAY 2 (Friday, 8 September)
Six short films from Spain, South Africa, and the USA. Featuring a neo-noir love letter to the city of Johannesburg, a visually rich sequence of animated light paintings, a blistering dive into a young man's obsession with the dark web, and more. (Contains explicit content. Suggested for Adults). Screening followed by a filmmaker Q&A .
- meyne hent dir. Amber Rose McNeill (USA)
- Nefarious Creatures dir. Camilo Zain Saloojee and Xolelwa Nhlabatsi (South Africa)
- Amulet dir. Ruth Hayes (USA)
- Morning Vision dir. Paul Theron (South Africa)
- Annihilator dir. Kyle Mangione-Smith (USA)
- woodworm lab dir. Nacho Recio (Spain)
- Strawberry Shake dir. Lou Andréa Fiere (Estonia)
JUFF DAY 3 (Saturday, 9 September)
Six short films from The UK, South Africa, the USA, and Italy. Featuring a young woman's reality-bending journey following a trepanation, a stop-motion science fiction epic, an exploration of the relationship between electricity pylons and the landscape made with hand processed super 8mm film, and more. Screening followed by a filmmaker Q&A .
- The Dark Odyssey 2 - Ice Nexus dir. Michael Lavine (USA)
- forms with space and distance and hills dir. Jason Moyes (United Kingdom)
- Small Town Film dir. Juliet Athena Markantonatos (South Africa)
- Chance Change dir. Ivana Esposito (Italy)
- Nensha dir. Marco Du Plooy (South Africa)
- Doofeepelop dir. David Culotta (USA)
Third Night | Saturday 9 Sept
+R 1,25 service fee
This ticket allows you entry to the third night.
+R 1,25 service fee